View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Bruzo

re: 14-(Fayeh)21HungarianDances for Horrorfest

Hey,

yes that version is much better in terms of me not having the feeling that the musicians need a kick in the butt to play more lively :)

Basically all the other issues I would have with that conversion are problems caused by Maestro (sounds like it moves the tempo changes in time - maybe to align them with the measures.)

I can offer you to run your arrangement through my converter as backend to illustrate where Maestro is actually making mistakes.

( which would take the midi you used and the Maestro project file which can be exportet with Maestro version 2.0 - it has to be setup directly with the midi, not from an imported abc file )

Mar-Evayave

Lilikate wrote:

This is getting closer to a good end result.

I was loving the start then we had something happen 40 seconds very high pipes. At 2.21 we have some low chords which sound quite muddy.

Then we return to the melody and all is well until the Pipes kick in again.

It is about personal preference. This would be the reason I would pass on your arrangement for concert. 

I am confused... the song is only 2:17 long.  How in the world could you be listening to anything at 2:21 and beyond?  O.o  And the bagpipes are playing the whole song.

And there are no midis available for an orchestra.

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Palantorio

Mar-Evayave wrote:

This is getting closer to a goodend result.

I was loving the start then we had something happen 40 seconds very high pipes. At 2.21 we have some low chords which sound quite muddy.

Then we return to the melody and all is well until the Pipes kick in again.

It is about personal preference. This would be the reason I would pass on your arrangement for concert.

And there are no midis available for an orchestra.

i found a midi for an orchestra... will post it later.. try to transcribe it first :P

- Deascaith - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Belegaer)

- Palwyn - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Landroval)

- Paldoria

- Rotmund - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Sirannon )
Palantorio

http://1drv.ms/1qReNfZ   abc of Hungarian Dance Nr.5 in G-

http://1drv.ms/1qReYb6   midi..

- Paldoria

Mar-Evayave

mark.ziegeweid wrote:

I don't know where you got that midi, but I don't download off just any old site on the internet.  I don't care if a website claims it has a midi file.  Maybe it really does.  I'm not going to go there unless I know something about the website in question.

Doesn't matter anymore.  There's your 14-man version of Hungarian Dance 5, Lili.  :(

Lilikate

The low chords and muddy section is at about 1.17m. I am sorry I typed the wrong time Fayeh.  The muddyness of the low chords I described is in the middle section of the piece.

The Bagpipes are playing the entire piece, my issue is in sections the melody takes the range too high for the pipes, for my liking.

I know your feelings are hurt and for that I am deeply sorry. 

I thank you for your submission but as it stands I would not be selecting this piece for a concert.

Mar-Evayave wrote:
mark.ziegeweid wrote:

I don't know where you got that midi, but I don't download off just any old site on the internet.  I don't care if a website claims it has a midi file.  Maybe it really does.  I'm not going to go there unless I know something about the website in question.

Doesn't matter anymore.  There's your 14-man version of Hungarian Dance 5, Lili.  :(

Sorry.. first both links Point to my skydrive (my cloud)..

second.. the abc i made, has been made very fast with a orchestral Version. as i have written some posts higher you can look at http://www.classicalarchives.com/ ( very good side for classical tunes..  somestimes you find the same song made bye different Composers)..

third... i dont want to hurt your Feelings... sorry..

forth... and transcribe more Songs.. everyone transcibes song in different way.. but you must understand, that we all have made many Songs who Sound wonderfull in Maestro and Sound absolut terrible ingame ;)... as i said to bruzo in a pm.. if i got one € for every song i transcribed and not beeing taken by my band or tso.. hmm.. this would be a nice flight in the US..;)

(fifth .. dont hurt me for my english ;) )

- Paldoria

Mar-Evayave

I just think personal preference should have no bearing.  Bagpipes are a legitimate instrument, just as the pibgorn is, and I dislike it when they are cast aside because people don't think they sound good.  Some people think some songs or instruments sound bad even in RL.  That doesn't mean they actually are bad.

mark - Oh, I know.  I went to your skydrive and listened to them.  I even saw Homeland Farmland there, which surprised me.  I noticed you had the same problem with it as I did for the abrupt ending.

What I meant is when I am surfing the internet (on google, for example) even if I see a link to a website that seems promising, I am unlikely to click to find out.  I've gotten way to many viruses and malware that way.  I am running on XP now, and if I get my system messed up again, I'll be unable to get my computer to run the way it does now, because Microsoft has removed just about every scrap of support it had for XP.  I was cautious before.  Now I'm extremely cautious.  I am not prone to go to any website that claims it has a midi that I want.

The thing is, though, that my songs haven't been given a chance in game.  Even when I get a midi with a decent tempo and whatnot, complaints about the instruments keep coming up.  If the instructions say "Any arrangement considered." and "Transcriptions for this group do not have to keep within any standard set of instruments. " then the decision-making should follow that.  Refusing a song simply because it has a pibgorn or (in this case) a bagpipe goes against that claim.

I can understand "I don't like the tempo, so I can't accept this song."  I do NOT understand (in the light of those claims) "I don't like that instrument, so I can't accept this song."

Mar-Evayave

Bruzo wrote:

Hey,

yes that version is much better in terms of me not having the feeling that the musicians need a kick in the butt to play more lively :)

Basically all the other issues I would have with that conversion are problems caused by Maestro (sounds like it moves the tempo changes in time - maybe to align them with the measures.)

I can offer you to run your arrangement through my converter as backend to illustrate where Maestro is actually making mistakes.

( which would take the midi you used and the Maestro project file which can be exportet with Maestro version 2.0 - it has to be setup directly with the midi, not from an imported abc file )

Sorry, missed this post.

I like Maestro.  I do NOT like Firefern.  And... *cough* BruTE is... confusing... in the extreme... :(  Sorry!  Maestro is the only converter I've tried so far that has any measure of user-friendliness.

Lilikate

Fayeh,

I do not dislike the bagpipes at all. It is how they apply to the that section of that particular part I think does not sound very nice. I have given I believe justified reasons as to why I feel what I feel about this piece.

If you wish to hear it played in game I can schedule it for a rehearsal.

Just have to find midi that suits the LOTRO system, not all midi will work well in our game.

It took me quite some time to make midi that others will include in their song-lists.

Your other option is to assemble some folks and have a go at leading a group where you get to make those choices.

Not just yet, Lili.  :)

mark - With that Classical Archives website, how do you download a midi without having to buy it?  I'm confused about that.

Oh, I see.  The mp3s have to be bought, but the midis are free.

But I still have to log in to download them.  :/  Is that the only catch?  Having to register?  I don't have to pay and I won't get a limit on how many I can download?

Last edited by Mar-Evayave on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Palantorio

first you have to register.. but this cost you anything..

you can download a max of 5 or 6 per day.. if you found a midi (button MIDI on top only!!!) you see a button : FREE MIDI... click it..

now can click on top right of the Website at : VIEW CART... click it.. Dont use the INSTALL MANAGER ...

but you see something like this ...

Free downloads made on: Sep 19, 2014 (00:00:00 UTC)

You have until Oct 19, 2014 to download these tracks.

Album: ClassicalArchives Collection  
Johannes Brahms: Hungarian Dances, WoO1, Bk.1-2 (piano version)  
5.Allegro in G- 111 KB

And a Button : DOWNLOAD.. or RE-DOWNLOAD...

At your cart you see every song you have marked.. you can mark many Songs.. but only download 6per day

- Paldoria

Mar-Evayave

Okay, I'm waiting for my email verification now.

I found 2 orchestral midis for Hungarian Dance 5.  I figure I'll download both of them, listen to each in full, decide which one I like best, and work with it.  The two I found were submitted by James Batty and Mark A. Knezevic.  I'm leaning towards liking the first one better, but I have only been able to listen to the 60-second clip so far.

Kinda disappointed but I can't find an orchestral version of Toccata and Fugue.  :(  Of all 3 songs I've been working on, that was my favorite.

Mar-Evayave

How is this, Lili?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lNmh6R054OGRsODA/edit?usp=sharing

1 drum, 1 lute, 1 harp, 2 theorbos, 1 bagpipe, 1 flute, 3 horns, 2 clarinets, 1 cowbell, and 1 pibgorn.

I cranked the strings up as much as I could because I felt like they were being drowned out, and because their role in the song is among the most important.  I pulled the pibgorn and bagpipe down a fair bit, as well as the horns, to compensate.  Clarinets I dropped a tad bit, but I pushed the flute up a fair ways, because it is more or less the lead instrument for the melody.  I couldn't decide between drums and cowbell for the percussion, so I decided to take both.  I had to double up a few instruments (like putting both trombones on the same track), but otherwise it's pretty straight-forward.

I can still tweak around volume of individual instruments if you think I pushed something too far in either direction.

As it so happens, this midi might work quite well as a TSO-24.  Without doubling up instruments to keep below 14, I easily could have reached 17 or 18 without even trying.  I'd like to see more stringed instruments in it (lutes and harps especially).  I think it really is a possibility.

Mar-Evayave

I had 2 midis for these last ones.  The first was originally 16 parts, which I turned into my 14-part version above.  The second was originally 27 parts, which I turned into a 24-part version here.  I have 11 on S&P and 13 on W&B.  It was hard getting them to play simultaneously to compare volume (one in Maestro, the other in ABC Player), but I think it's pretty good.

One thing I was curious about is the timing.  For W&B it says 2:18 but for S&P says 2:19.  They came from the same midi.  The original tempo was set at 140 but I thought that seemed way too fast, so I set it at 120 for both of them.  Any idea what happened?  Even when I leave it at 140, one of them saves a second longer than the other.  *confused*

S&P: 1 drum, 3 lute, 3 harp, 2 theorbo, 1 cowbell, 1 moor cowbell

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lWUJNM1BZREZoWlU/edit?usp=sharing

W&B: 2 bagpipe, 3 flute, 4 horn, 3 clarinet, 1 pibgorn

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lUFQ0OUZScXJrMDQ/edit?usp=sharing

There they are.  I don't know how we can truly test it without getting 24 people together in game.  That would tell us for sure whether they are out of sync.  It could be that the extra second is at the very end of the song, in which case it won't even matter.

Individually, the only parts I'm unsure of is the strings around 0:40 and 0:57.  Got a few lazy fingers in that part, perhaps.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Ninny Hammers Forum Index -> Past Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: