View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Lilikate

re: 2 orchestral pieces by Fayeh

I think there is nothing more that needs doing at this point. I will go through it again and point out all the bits I loved and the parts I found wanting. 

I know one of those issues was just tuning. 

I hope you will be willing to leave it for now (we can still test it) but after the update take another look.

There were several moments of sheer beauty that I thought wonderful. 

Probably come back to this tomorrow.

I am glad your stubborn. By all means go into the LMB file and find some of my early pieces which are not so hot. Also the pride I felt when my first pieces were played in Andune, Old Winyards and BBB.

You can do it...

Keep experimenting, stay true to what you like and don't be afraid to be who you are. Everyone on this site wants you to succeed. Keep raiding those sites for midi.

Lilikate wrote:

Toccata and Fugue DMinor Bach - Loved the arrangement -  Hated the midi and the timing changes to the piece. 

This was my favourite for the overall voicings of the piece. Hunt down more midi and try again please I want this piece in the TSO files. It would be perfect for Winterstock. Can I just add that I have a personal preference against very high bagpipes. I will include pieces that don't always fit into my preferences. This would be one of those.

*sigh*  I can't find any orchestral midis for this song in an orchestral version that sounds good.  I found 2 fugues and 1 toccata, but none of which are any better than my original midi.  I can use Anvil Studio to put the toccata and one of the fugues into the same midi, but still, the toccata sounds dreadful (parts where it is unnaturally slow or fast, on purpose), and I'm not sold on either of the fugues.  :/

There is one fugue I particularly like, but I don't know that it has any better tempo than the original.  I think the dynamics change in live orchestras more, but the actual tempo is much the same as in the midi, from what I can tell.  And even then the dynamics and tempo vary from orchestra to orchestra.  I listened to two different orchestras playing this song and they didn't sound like each other at all, but both were excellent.

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Mar-Evayave

Well, here, I'll let you decide if the midis are acceptable.

Toccata:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lcjVMUTFQdU9BQU0/edit?usp=sharing

Fugue option A:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lTEZiaXVoczh2RnM/edit?usp=sharing

Fugue option B:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3ldTBNaGhudGtVMHc/edit?usp=sharing

The first Fugue (I think - it's one of the two) is all horns and the second one is mostly horns with some strings.  Obviously I don't have to use the same instruments that the original midi had.  The only thing I care about (in regards to those 3 midis) is whether the tempo is acceptable to you.

Frankly, I don't like the Toccata at all.  Like I said, parts seem unnaturally drawn out (unique to say the least) at 1:15, 1:22 and 1:31 (it is otherwise pretty good with the tempo, I think).  I'm not too keen on the mostly-string version of the Fugue, but the all-horn version of the Fugue is pretty good.

If the Toccata meets with your approval and one or both of the Fugues are fine with you as well, I can go ahead and merge the Toccata with one of them and reassign instruments as closely as I can to match the original instrument layout I had before.

If it weren't for those three parts in the Toccata that I specified above, I'd actually like it pretty well.  It's tempo is unique but it does have a tempo.

I cannot find ANY other orchestral midis for either the Toccata or the Fugue, or much less both of them together on the same file.  :(

Lilikate

Hi Fayeh,

Again Google not letting me dl these. Make a Zip of all the files and sen them to Lilikatebuggins@gmail.com

Or try another Host site.

Remember if the piece does not fit 14 instruments make it for the amount of parts it does suit.

Good music not number of parts is what we should strive for. 9-14 is ok for TSO 14

I guess I'll just email them.  I don't have any other hosting website to use.

Anyway, all 3 midis have enough parts in them for a 14-piece song.  Sometimes I like to merge tracks or drop some altogether if they don't strike me as overly necessary.  If track A plays at the start and track B plays at the end, and I want the same instrument for both tracks, I might merge them just so that I don't have so many instruments swimming around.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Ninny Hammers Forum Index -> Past Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: