View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mar-Evayave

re: 2 orchestral pieces by Fayeh

I hope I'm doing this right and I don't know whether I've missed any steps... but here goes.

First is Toccata and Fugue in D-minor by Bach, converted for 14 parts.  It is all in one single file (not separated by S&P or W&B).  I'm not sure HOW to separate them like that.  But anyway, as you'll see when you open it, there are 3 tracks that are S&P (drums and 2 harp) and the rest are W&B (3 bagpipes, 2 flutes, 4 horns, and 2 clarinets).

14-(Fayeh)ToccataandFugue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lZTlPMVppd1Q1RGs/edit?usp=sharing

Second is Beethoven's Symphony No. 7, 2nd Movement.  I understand Abby already did this, but mine sounds considerably different from hers.  I didn't know she'd made one until I had pretty much finished this, so I figured might as well not waste the effort and submit it anyway in case multiple versions is okay with everyone.

Anyway, again, all one file.  It has 5 S&P (drums, lute, harp, and 2 theorbos) and 7 W&B (2 bagpipes, 3 flutes, horn, and clarinet).

12-(Fayeh)Symphony7_2nd

[link removed; see later post for newer version]

Let me know if there is any problem with them.

Last edited by Mar-Evayave on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Lilikate

Hi Fayeh.

The first thing I have to say is a big thanks for submitting your pieces to this site and to TSO.

Here are my thoughts on your arrangements:

Toccata and Fugue DMinor Bach - Loved the arrangement -  Hated the midi and the timing changes to the piece. 

This was my favourite for the overall voicings of the piece. Hunt down more midi and try again please I want this piece in the TSO files. It would be perfect for Winterstock. Can I just add that I have a personal preference against very high bagpipes. I will include pieces that don't always fit into my preferences. This would be one of those.

Brahms: Again I did like the arrangement. Remember I only have the abc player to listen too! I would again make sure those pibs and Bags wern't running up the octave too much. Although in the mid section here I did enjoy the pib very much. The midi and timing I hated. Let that bass clarinet shine through with a wee push of volume.

Beethoven - Symph No 7. For me this is the one I could not settle with. If it was a lack of midi you had to work with you are excused. I liked the choices of instruments.. Possibly with the exception of the Pipe.. Waiting for U15!

This piece evokes for me the most desperate sense of sadness and loss and the up-tempo version wrings it of all the pathos.

Remember it's not about who transcribes what first, but about how it makes you feel. If you love them all please ignore everything I say.

Please remember I am looking for pieces to play for Winterstock, which is after the music date, so gather your midi but remember we will be playing with the after updated files.

Eh, no thanks.  I wasn't even offering these for Winterstock -- they were more for Horrorfest.  I liked them (tempo and all), and if my tastes clash then there's not much I can do to change them.  They will only keep turning out the same way.

Besides, they were the only midis I could find for those songs.

I'll just go back to making small pieces for myself.  They're easier and don't require a massive group to play (and TSO is the only group big enough to play these kinds of songs).

Lilikate

I really didn't want to dampen your spirit. I also really loved the Toccata arrangement. I hope you change your mind after a little time but I understand if you choose not to.

I can't deny that I felt like a balloon that'd just been stuck with a pin...

But really, of all three I liked Toccata and Fugue the best and I liked the midi I used as well.  I thought the tempo worked wonderfully for such a complex song (though I did worry that LOTRO's limitations might cause some of the more "crazy" parts of the song to sound off -- though that may well be fixed with the music revamp).

For Hungarian Dance 5, I liked it and I do understand how the tempo in the middle of the song is basically not even there.  But midis, being midis, will never sound the way they should in RL.  Particularly when dealing with LOTRO's limitations.

And I liked Symphony No. 7 2nd Movement, too.  I wanted it to sound all dismal and gloomy.  That was the whole point.  Of all 3 songs, this was one that wasn't really listed as a good halloween-ish song.  The other two were on many halloween lists I found on the internet.  I was trying to make it sound like that.

And for all 3, those are the only midis I had to work with anyway.  I loved Toccata and Fugue, liked SYmphony No. 7 2nd Movement, and was satisfying with Hungarian Dance 5.

And for each of the three you hated all of them.  So why try again?  What's the point if you end up liking them but I end up disliking them?

Lilikate

Then we choose to have a differing of judgement and carry on. :)

I will say again I did not hate the arrangements of the instruments. The midi did not keep the pieces to tempo. It would be like playing "London's Burning" but singing the second line "Fetch the engines" at double speed. The ears hate it when expecting the traditional and well loved tempo.

I understand how you feel. Not everyone loves arrangements I make, but I think they are cool! 

At this point the only recommendation I can make is that you try and assemble some folks to play music that you like, or you make midi which I believe is acceptable for a concert. 

Have I mentioned I'm stubborn?

Symphony No. 7 2nd Movement by Beethoven

[link removed; see later post for newer version]

Got the midi from that german website you linked and I had to alter some instruments around to match the new midi better.  Instruments are: 1 lute, 1 harp, 1 theorbo, 3 bagpipes, 1 flute, 3 horns, and 2 clarinets.  (That said, I'm wondering if I'm short on strings; I could add 2 more to the same tracks as some of the brass to give those parts a bit more backing. That would raise overall instrument count to 14 and might make it feel a little full when brass is playing almost alone.)

(Still haven't found a replacement midi for Hungarian Dance 5 or Toccata and Fugue... I've been unable to try the german website today because I'm at my 5/5 limit, and I can't find one anywhere else on the internet from a place I feel safe downloading from...)

Last edited by Mar-Evayave on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Palantorio

take a look at this site...

http://www.classicalarchives.com/midi.html?navID=3

- Deascaith - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Belegaer)

- Palwyn - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Landroval)

- Paldoria

- Rotmund - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Sirannon )
Lilikate

Hi Fayeh - Now the midi is excellent.

We enter the realms of personal taste.

This is much harder to explain. 

I liked aspects of the arrangements. In all honesty I did not like the bagpipes. I want to like them but my ears won't let me. It may be in practice they don't sound as harsh. 

Keep being stubborn. 

Lilikate wrote:

Hi Fayeh - Now the midi is excellent.

We enter the realms of personal taste.

This is much harder to explain. 

I liked aspects of the arrangements. In all honesty I did not like the bagpipes. I want to like them but my ears won't let me. It may be in practice they don't sound as harsh. 

Keep being stubborn. 

*sigh* Everyone hates the pibgorn, everyone hates the bagpipes.  The more instruments people start hating, the fewer we have to work with.  -.-

Lilikate

The Bagpipes would be fine if they were not so shrilly and high pitched as they are in your piece.

I can't control that.  The song goes that high.

I used to use the pibgorn to represent RL violins.  Someone else suggested using a combo of horn and bagpipes instead (because that person hates pibgorns).  Now I've done that and people complain about how the bagpipes sound.  We don't have a violin, so we have to go with whatever sounds the closest to a violin, even if it isn't the best fit.

Mar-Evayave

Okay, try this.  I substituted the lead bagpipes for another flute (so now 2 of each).  The other two bags I quieted a notch or two (one of which is barely there at all -- you can open it in Maestro to see how infrequently the final bagpipe actually plays).  Around 5:35 onwards for about 15 seconds the other two bagpipes make their presence known a bit high up, but it is short lived and I think quite adds to the urgency in the piece at that moment.  Pretty much all of the instruments are giving their all at that point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lR01rWnlFOGFDZ2c/edit?usp=sharing

Lilikate

The Beethoven is accepted, there are still a few niggles, more importantly some really wonderful moments in the piece.

I will select this piece for the next TSO 14 at a rehearsal,  I would like this in the folder for Winterstock.

Thank you.

Also thanks for not giving up :)

I'm far too stubborn for my own good Lili.  So really, when I put up a big stink about stuff like this, it's really just building up to an overflow, and by the time I get that worked up, I'm really going to start working my hardest in a "I'm gonna prove them wrong!" sort of way.  xD

Kinda like Lindsey Stirling.  She was told that she was unmarketable by people on America's Got Talent.  She set out to prove them wrong, and she did.  :D

Anyway, what are your final niggles?  Anything that can be fixed?  An instrument that is too loud, or too soft, or something like that?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Ninny Hammers Forum Index -> Past Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: