View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Lilikate

re: 14-(Fayeh)21HungarianDances for Horrorfest

Hiya Fayeh.

The 24 ppart pieces are a whole new realm of tricky. I think you can test the part to see if they sync with just 2 accounts. 

You line one character with a part from one file and the other character takes a part from the other file and press play. Switch the parts to check they all sync. That should tell you if the one second difference actually makes any difference at all.

The biggest issue will be your sample load. I have yet to make a 24 part piece from Maestro that worked with TSO24. Infact for the Spring Concert I had to re work and reconvert my entire set. I usually map how I want the piece to sound in Maestro, taking careful note and lots of .abc's of each part to match pith and instrument.

Then I took quite alot of time to learn to use BruTE, Bruzo's coverter. This gives not only a better timing accruacy but also deleted duplicate tomes to keep the part withing LOTRO's sample allowance. You do have to be careful not to cut back too much as this then causes an empty sounding piece.

Taking the Blue Danube as an example, it is possible to make wonderful music. But I think it is tricky. Midi selection is the first hurdle.

You can hear (abc player alterations need to be accounted for) your full piece if you make a wav file of each S&P and W&B, then import them to audacity and export as a mp3. But your volumes will not be accruate.

I look forward to getting on my laptop later today and having a listen to your parts. Thanks for submitting.

Would you be willing to help me with the tricky parts?  As much as I like to be independent, I only have 1 account and I can't (for the life of me) figure out how to use BruTE.  I've tried, I really have, and it's like greek to me.  :/

How do I save my midis as wav files?

R8 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) @ Landroval
Palantorio

open a abc with the abc-Player.. then you can : "save as wave..."

- Deascaith - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Belegaer)

- Palwyn - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Landroval)

- Paldoria

- Rotmund - former Bandleader of Notenzauber (Sirannon )
Mar-Evayave

Thanks!

Mar-Evayave

They sounded perfectly synced in Audacity, so I guess that's one less worry.  :)

Lilikate

Hi Fayeh.

I would be more than happy to show you though the basic steps of using Brute. I think we should work on something small first and think about how we would layer the sound when working with 4 parts or 24.

I would also just consider these steps as learning trials. I would hold off working toward converting something for Winterstock until after the update.

So find a few chamber music, or classical pieces which have parts for all sections. Strings, Percussion, Winds and Brass.

Then you need a pen and paper and put the midi in Maestro. Play with the parts listen to different combinations of instruments, find as you have done a few videos of the piece being played by a real orchestra. Write down how many parts you have and how they are named and numbered in maestro (sometimes it is different). Once you have you piece as you like it export the maestro file and save.

Think about Mood, The period of the piece, instruments used at the time it was composed.

All these factors will help you understand and create really good files.

Then dload the latest brute. Put it in your documents folder. Your unconverted midi also needs to be inside the brute folder.

Let me know when you have a quartet or quintet and which version of BruTE you have.

Then we will look at opening the midi, opening the default map and concerting one part of your chosen small piece. After that we will work on a bigger (12-14 Parter).

I am more than happy to help! Please excuse my numerous typos. I will try to keep them to a minimum... and locate my specs!

Mar-Evayave wrote:

How is this, Lili?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lNmh6R054OGRsODA/edit?usp=sharing

1 drum, 1 lute, 1 harp, 2 theorbos, 1 bagpipe, 1 flute, 3 horns, 2 clarinets, 1 cowbell, and 1 pibgorn.

I cranked the strings up as much as I could because I felt like they were being drowned out, and because their role in the song is among the most important.  I pulled the pibgorn and bagpipe down a fair bit, as well as the horns, to compensate.  Clarinets I dropped a tad bit, but I pushed the flute up a fair ways, because it is more or less the lead instrument for the melody.  I couldn't decide between drums and cowbell for the percussion, so I decided to take both.  I had to double up a few instruments (like putting both trombones on the same track), but otherwise it's pretty straight-forward.

I can still tweak around volume of individual instruments if you think I pushed something too far in either direction.

As it so happens, this midi might work quite well as a TSO-24.  Without doubling up instruments to keep below 14, I easily could have reached 17 or 18 without even trying.  I'd like to see more stringed instruments in it (lutes and harps especially).  I think it really is a possibility.

This was interesting! - I will take it to rehearsal. Good job.

abc player is a false friend - so I shall wait to hear it in LOTRO.

Mar-Evayave wrote:

I had 2 midis for these last ones.  The first was originally 16 parts, which I turned into my 14-part version above.  The second was originally 27 parts, which I turned into a 24-part version here.  I have 11 on S&P and 13 on W&B.  It was hard getting them to play simultaneously to compare volume (one in Maestro, the other in ABC Player), but I think it's pretty good.

One thing I was curious about is the timing.  For W&B it says 2:18 but for S&P says 2:19.  They came from the same midi.  The original tempo was set at 140 but I thought that seemed way too fast, so I set it at 120 for both of them.  Any idea what happened?  Even when I leave it at 140, one of them saves a second longer than the other.  *confused*

S&P: 1 drum, 3 lute, 3 harp, 2 theorbo, 1 cowbell, 1 moor cowbell

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lWUJNM1BZREZoWlU/edit?usp=sharing

W&B: 2 bagpipe, 3 flute, 4 horn, 3 clarinet, 1 pibgorn

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s-Ar7XSc3lUFQ0OUZScXJrMDQ/edit?usp=sharing

There they are.  I don't know how we can truly test it without getting 24 people together in game.  That would tell us for sure whether they are out of sync.  It could be that the extra second is at the very end of the song, in which case it won't even matter.

Individually, the only parts I'm unsure of is the strings around 0:40 and 0:57.  Got a few lazy fingers in that part, perhaps.

Hi Fayeh,

I have a few points to make here.

Firstly, I thought the string section of the 24 was good. 

The wind brass section has much of what I think is less good, it's heavy and muggy with the worst tones of the Pipes and Horns being too strong.

I would, even though I have plans already for the Spring TSO. Rehearse something you arrange but we do have to go though some steps.

TSO 24- It really isn't worth the work hours to create something so short in duration. I think it better to find pieces 4 minutes or more long.

Look for concerto's and symphonies and prepare for the bar to have something played at a concert to be very high. 

I preferred for this piece the 14 parter you submitted before. But please please continue to play and experiment with the music.

This is how I came to find my own path into creating music to play last spring.

Listen to as much classical music as you can and read about the different periods of music. Don't forget TSO plays modern classical and movie scores. 

Well, I'd like to have both if they both sound good in game (so "good" pending in-game testing to verify they sound good; then adjust as needed), though I suppose I understand what you mean by how short it is.

On the flip side, it might make for a good filler piece (like if you have 10 minutes to fill and only a piece that is 8 minutes long).  Or a "last last song" (or I suppose we call those "encores" in orchestral terms xD ) that's quick and easy.  ^_^

Lilikate

If you consider how long it takes to work these files into a good 24 part piece, how long it takes to sync them in game and still feel it's worth it for the piece then we head back to the issue of selections.

If I think something is worth a listen to in game I would be happy to give it a whirl so you can hear it.

However the duration of the rehearsals are short and the competition tough.

For the concert I do try and play something by everyone who has submitted.

However TSO24 -  I do set the bar higher than TSO14, just because it is my baby :)

Well, I don't mind spending the effort if it's something you would use (even if it is so short).  If it'll never get used, then I guess it would be a waste of effort.  xD

Lilikate

We have played TSO24 - 2 minute parts before. Even for a warm up they are good.

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: