View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruzo

re: Getting around the messed up volumes of U15

Hey there,

we all know how it is with our huge song collections and update 15 - pessimistic as I am, I know that we can't expect anything from Turbine. But being an optimist and not wanting to stop playing music I had to find a solution

... so I sat down and wrote a script that tries to re-adjust the volumes to yield something that is closer to the pre-U15 balance. It's not changing any file - it generates an additional "adjusted" Version of any abc file it finds in the folder where it is executed. (they all start with U15 followed by the old name).

Now before you say that can't be done, I guess I have to say well .. up to a certain point those fixes can be done automatically. There is however impossible combinations like a very very loud flute and a quiet lute.

My program measures the volume lvls that are used in the abc and tries to adjust them in a way that the proper volume differences (pre-U15) between the instruments are restored - if possible. It works on files created with Maestro2, Maestro1, Fireferns and of course my own converter - some issues with files from Lotromidiplayer though. However it's a first shot. It may crash on certain abc files, best is to just move those out of the folder where you are doing the adjustments.
The drums will still be too loud, but the changes necessary to get the drums in line would shift anything else up to very loud except the lute/harp, so I kept them too loud. Best solution for that is to put the drummer way behind the band, so that distance helps reducing the drums volume.Anyway here is the link, use at own risk, no garantee of perfect sound etc, just a way to handle huge song collections

https://sites.google.com/site/brutemm/the-program/U15volchanger.zip

The python source code is included as well as an executable, so whoever wants to improve this is welcome to do so. In the binary there is my second shot of adjusting the relative volumes, it may still be improved - in the source code you could adjust those things yourself.

Bruzo

zedrockk
LOTRO Musician

Great job Mr Bru'!

i will try it!

Thx

Zed'

Lilikate

Good Idea!

I did a manual batch of alterations for tomorrows rehearsal but this is a good idea!

I will try it :)

One question, Is this adjustment with the post U14 louder lute?

Oh and I managed to get into the live stream of Frelorn yesterday long enough to hear they are working on the music system and will announce any news on the official site. I think we have to sit tight while they actually fix it properly.

Ye, it reduces the volume of lute/harp, boosts the flute etc .. it tries to get an ABC that when played with the current version will have similar volumes than with U14.

Which means if there is a flute you will hear it again ... because the rest will be muted down. Also it'll make sure the lute will be in the lower half of the volumes so that music without flute will not be totally loud.

It's just thought to be some kind of way to continue playing music without big effort till this mess is fixed.

(edit: it'll typically reduce the overall volume ... but that's the price to pay if you want to hear the flute again)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Ninny Hammers Forum Index -> Past Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: